Nor are many in the developed, progress-oriented city where I live.
Most of the time this discontent keeps the progress going, both personally and as a society. But...
I had a day recently when I was tired, and was rather overwhelmed by that day's decluttering job in the apartment we're cleaning at the moment. It was one of those ugly days when task-focus overcame thankfulness. Enter the (my?) old trap of hyper-criticism. Yuk. Especially when a boiling heart spills out on to others.
As I was thinking of how to apologise to a friend (>.<), I got thinking about a rather old word: 'Forbearance.'
Why? Well, it seemed like the opposite of hyper-criticism. And much more like how God has treated me than nagging correction.
I figured I'd better translate it into the 21st century if I was ever going to understand it. Enter Google.
I'd like to start training my forbearance muscle. Building good habits of not speaking out about every ill, especially when friends are trying to be helpful. It's easier with some than others and sure helps to remember how overwhelmingly thankful I am for them and how patient God is- 1 John 1:9 :)

No comments:
Post a Comment